The Way, The Truth, The Life


John 14:1-14
1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going.” 5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. 12“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”

From the ages of 8-18 I attended church at Christ Lutheran in Lincoln, Nebraska. The sanctuary’s focal point was the stained glass window in the front depicting John 14:2. That verse is forever emblazoned on my memory as I weekly read and reread those words. Later, I would learn that this verse is a direct reflection of the custom of Jesus’ day that dictated that a young man, after asking for a woman’s hand in marriage, would then return to his father’s house and build an additional room onto that house for his new family. When the room was completed to his father’s satisfaction, his father would then allow him to go and retrieve his bride. Place that paradigm as the foundation for these verses and they take on a life and vibrancy that is muffled if you don’t know about that custom. As Jesus speaks these words, the Disciples are acutely aware of His meaning.

It’s always Peter or Thomas who are brave enough to ask the question that is probably on the hearts of all the Disciples. This time it is Thomas who voices the question about where Jesus is going and how are they to follow Him. Jesus words of response are central to our faith and all of us should be able to quote this passage with ease.

I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The impact of these words spoken by Jesus just a few days before His crucifixion and resurrection are central to the Christian faith. It couldn’t be any plainer. Jesus is it; the ONLY way. He doesn’t give any wiggle room here. He is the ONLY way. If that make us exclusive, so be it. But wait – we aren’t exclusive, for the invitation for belief is open to everyone. Not one single person is excluded (or included) by virtue of who they are, where they come from, or what they can do. So there’s just no way around “no one comes to the Father except by me.”

The portion of this passage that brought me to my knees this morning is verse 14.

If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

The summer began with a problem I saw no way around. Zero solutions of my devising. Now, 60 days later God has removed all of the barriers that stood between me and my responsibilities. I was moved to tears to look back and see how God worked His will for me and my family. I could have never envisioned this outcome in a million years. But God saw the whole thing in advance and is slowly revealing His plan. I asked Him for help and He said “I will do it.” That gives me the strength to ask Him for the next big thing – and it looms large for me right now. But my faith is strengthened by the events of the last 2 months. If He could so successfully deal with my first issue, maybe He can handle this next one too! I realize this last paragraph is rather cryptic. But the details don’t only include me, so I don’t feel free to share them here. Suffice it to say, God is true to verse 14. When I ask in His name and allowing for His will, He answers – every time.

Fellow Christian brother and songwriter, Rich Mullins (who has now passed into God’s presence) wrote a song with these verses as his lyric line. It is brilliant and beautiful. If you listen to it a few times, you will have committed this passage to memory. Rich recorded this song in the basement of a church with just his guitar and a little cassette recorder back in 1997. The first link takes you to an enhanced recording made by fellow Christian artists after his death. The second link is the song as he recorded it. Listen to it - a few times as part of your devotion today. He left us a great gift. It will lift you up and cement this passage in your mind for later meditation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door