Satan’s Property


John 13:21-38
21After saying these things, Jesus was troubled in his spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” 22The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke. 23One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was reclining at table at Jesus’ side, 24so Simon Peter motioned to him to ask Jesus of whom he was speaking. 25So that disciple, leaning back against Jesus, said to him, “Lord, who is it?” 26Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. 27Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” 28Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him. 29Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor. 30So, after receiving the morsel of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night. 31When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once. 33Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’ 34A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” 36Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.” 37Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” 38Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.

The Lord of Glory has knelt down and submitted Himself to washing the feet of His followers. Now He reveals to all of the Disciples that one of them is a betrayer. Of course they are stunned, possibly scared, and most certainly confused. But the Lord has said it and they react immediately. Judas, of course, knows that he is the one mentioned. Jesus signifies that He knows what Judas has done by giving him the bread dipped in the bowl. Jesus’ action is one that is usually performed for the honored guest, thus Judas has yet another opportunity to repent and not follow through with his despicable plan. Those who think Judas didn’t have a choice as to whether or not he would be the betrayer haven’t given thought to this passage. He had the choice for repentance right up until the end. He doesn’t take it and he becomes Satan’s property.

I confess that there are plenty of times I make the choice for sin. Jesus offers me the opportunity to repent every single moment of every single day and sometimes, I just go ahead with the sin. But thanks be to God, Jesus went to the cross for those bad choices. His blood was shed so that I am not Satan’s property. Instead, as His blood bought child I am sent out to love as He has loved. The Lord who has just washed feet – including the feet of His betrayer – has commanded me to love as He has loved. People will know that Jesus is Lord when I love openly and intentionally.

In the same passage Judas betrayal and Peter’s denial is prophesied. Judas becomes Satan’s property and Peter received Jesus’ forgiveness. These two men and their response to Jesus have been expounded upon in thousands of Bible studies and sermons. The point is right there for all to see. Even in our failure Jesus is there to take us back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door